A radiothon run by a Madison radio group raised $690,684 for American Family Children’s Hospital, the highest amount ever raised during the annual event.
Mid-West Family Broadcasting stations 93.1 Jamz (WJQM) and Q106 (WWQM) hosted the radiothon over three days in May from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day. The stations talked with families who have used the hospital and continue to use the hospital for their children. The radiothon is aimed at raising money for the “extras” that help make stays at the hospital a little better. The “extras” include:
- A Child Life Specialist position in the emergency department to help patients and their families cope with fear, pain, and anxiety.
- Supplies for the Positive Image Center which offers free wigs, hats, and salon services to patients.
- Gas cards and transportation resources for families who need help getting to and from the hospital, including those who need treatments several times each week.
- Tyler’s Place sibling care, so parents can stay with their hospitalized child while siblings are taken care of in a nurturing and therapeutic environment.
- Dinners for thousands of moms, dads, and patient visitors.
Mid-West Family’s five other Madison stations also help out during the radiothon through regular announcements and shorter remote broadcasts at the UW Children’s Hospital.