Time: 9 a.m.
Location: Osthoff Resort, Elkhart Lake
The Toolbox 2019 is a one-day young professional conference held in conjunction with the second day of the WBA Summer Conference, June 13, at the Osthoff Resort in Elkhart Lake. There will be a range of speakers and panels that will focus on timely topics that are challenging young professionals every day.
The purpose of The Toolbox is to provide skills and resources for well-rounded young professionals in the broadcasting industry, by fostering better communication skills in the workplace, encouraging stronger relationships within communities, and creating dynamic leaders in the industry. By sharpening the tools that young professionals use on a day-to-day basis, whole organizations will benefit and become stronger and the industry itself will continue to move forward in a competitive and relevant way.
Here’s the day’s agenda:
Welcome & Introduction with Terry Stevenson & Amy Pflugshaupt: 9 a.m. – 9:10 a.m.
“Fighting the Burnout” Panel Discussion 9:10 a.m. – 10:10 a.m.
- Lindsay Wood Davis, Broadcast Management Strategies, WBA Hall of Fame, Monona
- Adam Schrager, Social Impact Storyteller for American Family Insurance Institute for Corporate & Social Impact, formerly WISC-TV Anchor, Madison
- George Smith, WKOW-TV Anchor, Madison
- Joe Daguanno, Adams Outdoor General Manager and former radio broadcaster, Madison
“Investigate: Not Just a Title” 10:10 a.m. – 11:10 a.m.
Featuring Bryan Polcyn, WITI-TV Investigative Reporter, Milwaukee
Break 11:10 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
“New Media: Improve Your Reach” Panel Discussion 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- Gina Barton, host of “Unsolved” Crime Podcast from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Bridget Thoreson, Engagement Consultant at Hearken, Milwaukee
- Jeff McCarthy, VP of Programming for Midwest Communications, Green Bay
Keynote Lunch and Local Broadcast Legends Presentation 12:15 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
“YPs in Broadcasting” Panel Discussion 2:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Terry Stevenson, Sales Manager for Seehafer Broadcasting and Co-Founder of the WBA YP Committee, Manitowoc
- JT Koser, Station Manager for FOX 99.1 FM and Co-Founder of the WBA YP Committee, Rice Lake
- Sarah Gray, News Director for WSAW, Wausau
- Lane Kimble, News Director, WJFW-TV, Rhinelander
“What Would You Do: WORT’s Story of Surviving a Workplace Shooting” 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Featuring Molly Stentz, WORT-FM News Director, Madison
- Webinar: Mobile Strategy for Radio Date: May 23, 2019
- WBA Media Technology Institute Lite Date: June 11, 2019
- Job/Career Fair Registration Date: June 12, 2019
- Annual Golf Tournament Date: June 12, 2019
- Engineering Day Date: June 12, 2019
- Summer Conference Date: June 12, 2019
- Young Professionals Present: The Toolbox Date: June 13, 2019
- Digital Assessments at Summer Conference Date: June 13, 2019
- Webinar: What is OTT and how can we make money? Date: June 20, 2019
- Webinar: Chief Operator Rules Date: July 18, 2019
- WBA’s Doug Chickering – WIAA Sports Workshop Date: July 24, 2019
- Webinar: Transmitters aren’t supposed to be exciting… But saving money is! Date: August 15, 2019
- Webinar: What the future sales team looks like and how you can prepare? Date: September 19, 2019
- Broadcasters Clinic Date: October 15, 2019
- Webinar: Recruiting and Hiring Better Salespeople Date: October 17, 2019
- Winter Conference & State Legislative Day Date: January 29, 2020
- Student Seminar Date: March 7, 2020
- Walker Broadcast Management Institute Date: April 14, 2020
- Awards Gala Date: May 2, 2020