Time: 9 a.m. CT
Registration deadline is June 16!
The goal of this one-day, fast-moving, expert-led and practical training is simple: We want to help local broadcast journalists ask more informed questions and demand more solid answers about five complex issues facing America in the 2022 midterm election cycle.
From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Poynter’s experts will teach journalists the essential insights they have to know to effectively cover immigration, inflation and the economy, health care and drug costs, climate change and disinformation.
Poynter’s teaching team includes a top expert on health care who testifies before Congress, a Pulitzer Prize-winning immigration reporter and a climate expert from Climate Central. These won’t be stale lectures but instead will be tailored to journalists seeking context and clarity on behalf of their communities.
More than ever, this training is vital for busy, resource-strapped journalists who might otherwise settle for campaign talking points, allow candidates to talk in rhetorical circles or amplify common falsehoods online.
The workshop’s tuition is covered by a grant to Poynter and MediaWise from the Google News Initiative. The funder has no influence over the content of the seminar, the faculty or even the choices of where to teach the workshops. The non-partisan workshop is produced by Poynter’s senior faculty Al Tompkins who has five decades of journalism experience and is a key instructor for Poynter’s digital literacy program.
We will bring this training to five battleground states — Arizona, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Ohio and Florida — and will reach hundreds of journalists in July and August, just in time to help them cover races after Labor Day. Poynter is proud to work with state broadcast journalism associations in each state.
Registration deadline is June 16!
It is a full day of learning with continental breakfast and lunch provided. Below is a tentative schedule:
- 9 a.m. — Welcome (Al Tompkins)
- 9:05 a.m. — Big Issue 1: What journalists need to know about the economy and inflation (Cardiff Garcia)
- 10:30 a.m. — Break
- 10:45 a.m. — Big Issue 2: Immigration issues that the next congress will face (Molly O’Toole)
- Noon — Lunch
- 1:15 p.m. — Big Issue 3: The emerging issue of climate change (Bernadette Woods Placky)
- 2:30 p.m. — Break
- 2:45 p.m. — Big Issue 4: Healthcare and drug cost problems congress still faces (Larry Levitt)
- 4 p.m. — Big Issue 5: Detecting disinformation that leads to truth decay (Al Tompkins)
- 5 p.m. — Go do great journalism
Senior Faculty, Broadcast and Online
Co-founder, Bazaar Audio
Larry Levitt Executive Vice President for Health Policy, Kaiser Family Foundation
Molly O’Toole Immigration and Security Reporter, Los Angeles Times
Bernadette Woods Placky Chief Meteorologist and Climate Matters Program Director, Climate Central
Interested in this workshop but not able to make it to Wisconsin? Check out our programs in other battleground states:
July 8: Phoenix, Arizona at the Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University
July 26: Columbus, Ohio at Quest Conference Center
July 28: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at WCAU-TV
Aug. 2: St. Petersburg, Florida at the Poynter Institute
- Poynter: Midterm Essentials session in Madison Date: July 14, 2022
- Webinar: EAS Requirements and What Your Entire Staff Should Know About the Alternative Broadcast Inspection Program (ABIP) Date: July 21, 2022
- Webinar: Enhancing Local Coverage Just in Time for Election Season Date: August 18, 2022
- Broadcasters Clinic Date: October 11, 2022
- Webinar: Post-Election Impact on Broadcasters Date: November 17, 2022
- Awards Gala Date: May 6, 2023