Coronavirus and Your Station:
- Supplies: You need to have adequate supplies of cleaning materials to keep your station as safe as possible for employees.
- Cross training/working from home: In case your employees are exposed, and need to be quarantined, you may want to evaluate who could help cover their workload while they are out, as well as having computers or other equipment to allow them to work from home.
- Employees: You may want to review with your corporation the leave policy in case someone is required to self quarantine at home, or has become infected with the virus. In addition, you may want to consider policies for employees who have school aged children in case their school is closed, and they will need to be able to take care of their children.
Broadcast News Reporting Guidance:
- Guidelines for reopening a studio
- Poynter’s Al Tomkins: “How Newsrooms Can Tone Down Their Coronavirus Coverage While Still Reporting Responsibly.” Read here.
- Poynter article: “AP Stylebook Tips on the Coronavirus.” Read here.
- Poynter article: Tips for working from home. Read here.
- Poynter article: How journalists can fight stress from covering the coronavirus. Read here.
- Poynter article: Avoiding misinformation during a pandemic. Read here.
- RTDNA: Tips for conducting remote interviews Read here.
- RTDNA: Trust and engagement tips for coronavirus coverage Read here.
- RTDNA: Standards for news conferences Read here.
- Wisconsin Watch invites newsrooms to ‘office hours’
- Sign up for a daily COVID-19 newsletter from Poynter.
Coronavirus Information Resources:
- Wisconsin DHS website on Coronavirus, including stats, press releases and more. Access here.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Communication Resources (including video, fact sheets, and posters). Access here.
- CDC Real Time COVID-19 Situation Summary. Access here.
- National Institute of Allergy & Infectious Diseases (NIA) Resource page on Coronavirus. Access here.
- United States Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams contact page. Access here.
- National Jewish Health Coronavirus Information & Resources, includes travel tips, myth busting and more. Access here.
NAB Coronavirus Response Tool Kit:
- Including PSAs, station operation resources and editorial guidelines. Access here.
- Constantly updated info from NAB on support for broadcasters
- Radio Ink: 10 Commandments of coronavirus coverage
- Jacobs Media: Digital tools to help your station staff work remotely
- Jacobs Media’s COVID-19 resource page
- IPAWS guidelines for COVID-19 shared by FEMA
- Webinar: What is your COVID-19 strategy?
- CISA control rooms guide for pandemic response
- Best Ideas in Broadcasting for COVID-19
- Jacobs Media review of video streaming services
- Assistance available from the Broadcasters Association of America
- Webinar recording: Broadcaster’s Guide to Newly-Available SBA Loans
- CISA Situation Reporting System (to report cases of denied movement situations for critical infrastructure workers)