TMJ4, The Scripps NBC station in Milwaukee, WI is searching for an experienced and forward-thinking Broadcast Director to lead a team of journalists into a higher level of news content creation. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate a strict attention to detail, a true spirit of innovation and strong leadership abilities.
The Broadcast Director works closely with peer leaders in executing the Scripps content strategy so that local consumer expectations are met on platforms including app, OTT, mobile, web and social. This includes local content vision and strategy to address consumer needs, content standards, delivery, quality control and continuous improvement. The primary focus of this role is executing strategy on the television broadcast platform.
- Collaborates with Sr. Dir. of Local Content and team of peer leaders to leverage the Scripps content strategy as the foundation for specific local content strategy. Within the strategy, this position has specific attention on meeting the needs of the broadcast consumer.
- Partners with content leaders to plan and coordinate content resources for daily coverage on the broadcast platform.
- Works closely with the leader of Enterprise/Investigative and content and marketing leaders to plan future story schedules.
- Hires, schedules and manages a team to deliver and continuously improve our television broadcast news product.
- In alignment with the Scripps content strategy, creates tactics and strategies to increase ratings (demos) performance.
- Monitors all on-air product for compliance to Federal, State and local laws as well as First and Fourteenth Amendments, and trains staff to do the same.
- Reviews copy, builds capability in staff to review/edit scripts for air.
- Analyzes and responds to trends affecting the television broadcast platform and the DMA.
- Provides coaching and development of staff to ensure the strategy for our broadcasts is understood and followed.
- Ensures shows are properly organized and consumer focused.
- Develops a pipeline of producing talent for this and other Scripps local media businesses.
- Works closely with the editorial leader to evaluate workflow and optimize news operations.
- Responsible for broadcast platform budgetary planning and monitoring.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a combination of education and equivalent experience required.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in positions of progressive responsibility required.
- 3 years of management experience in content media departments preferred.
- Experience turning news shows around to improve business results.
Skills & Abilities
Posted on: October 5, 2018
- Journalism: Skilled storyteller, journalistic ethics and libel.
- Working knowledge of television ratings.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of all media platforms and broad understanding of broadcast newsroom operations and equipment.
- Calm under pressure: able to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Customer focus: understands customer needs, raises the bar on customer service, develops unified approach to exceed customer expectations.
- Very strong collaborator: involves others in problem solving and decision making, asks for and considers an array of perspectives, comfortable relying on the expertise of others and joint decision making.
- Manage execution: setting expectations, delegating, facilitating, removing barriers, measuring performance, and fostering accountability/recognition.
- Engage and inspire at all levels: create environment where people feel appreciated, and valued, are committed and want to excel, and want to define opportunities to improve the organization.
- Manage conflict: Constructive in working through differences, handles recurrent conflict, resolves issues between employees, preserves relationships.
- Decision making: Ties decisions to strategy, uses sound logic, makes decisions at the right time, brings others into decision making process, chooses the best alternative.
- Coach: Continuously cultivates capabilities by asking the right questions and equipping staff with tools, knowledge and opportunities they need to develop themselves.
- Delegation: is clear about lines of responsibility, allows staff to make mistakes, offers guidance without taking over, enables team to manage daily operation of their teams.
Read Job Details
WGBA-TV, the NBC affiliate in Green Bay, WI is looking for a top-notch producer who can continue the growth of the station. If you are a newsroom leader looking for a challenging opportunity, then this is the place for you to create, lead and organize content for multiple platforms utilizing strong editorial, journalistic, organizational and communication skills. We are looking for the best of the best!
- Develop and organize newscasts; responsible for writing, story development and showcasing
- Works closely with news managers and assignment editors to determine content needs
- Enhance content of the rundown with graphics, video, research, and station branding
- Execute time sensitive decisions
- Responsible for oversight of live broadcast and up to the minute editorial decisions
- Perform desktop editing
- Posting content to station’s Web sites
- Perform other duties as assigned and needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field
- 2 – 3 years as a television writer or producer
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be proficient with newsroom computer systems, MS Office a plus
- Excellent conversational and creative writing skills
- Must have strong communication and organization skills
- Adaptable, self-motivated and able to work in a face paced, deadline driven environment
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws
- Understand and utilize Web analytics
Posted on: September 18, 2018
- Deadline driven and fast-paced environment
Read Job Details
WGBA is the NBC-affiliated television station for Northeastern Wisconsin, owned by the E.W Scripps Company in Green Bay. We’re currently in search of our next Creative Services Director to lead the brand image strategy and execution, including supervising all aspects of station promotion and marketing using on-air, online and outside media resources.
- Responsible for the development of promotional strategic plans, multi-media marketing plans, promotional News campaigns, general programming promotion.
- Develop web-based promotion and monitor image of station website.
- Supervise and schedule day-to-day activities in the Promotion Department for station.
- Liaison with network and syndicators regarding the station promotional activities.
- Coordinate commercial production and sales promotion for the Sales Department.
- Develop and coordinate viewer-related contests for station.
- Develop and monitor annual budgets for Creative Services Department.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by station GM and corporate management.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Journalism, Communications or other related field preferred or equivalent business experience.
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible multimedia creative/management experience in the areas of promotion, production and/or creative services.
- Proven track record for development of successful marketing concepts and branding efforts is a necessity.
Skills & Abilities
- Possess a keen interest and understanding in the latest technology and social media applications as applicable to marketing.
- Must possess effective leadership and management skills as well as the ability to work well with leadership team.
- Possess the ability to conceive, produce (including scripting, shooting and editing), implement and measure strategic marketing/branding plans.
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for extended periods.
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds.
Read Job Details
WLUK-TV FOX 11 Green Bay has an immediate opening for a creative News Producer. Good Day Wisconsin is the #1 morning newscast in Northeast Wisconsin. We are searching for someone who thrives on creative journalism. The combination of hard news and morning information will allow your creativity to shine. The candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day production of our morning newscasts and digital content. This position will also work closely with the Executive Producer and the Assistant News Director on the newscast block and its content. In this position you will determine the content and flow of newscasts, work with management and on-air staff to generate and write stories, and also develop content for our web site.
Make your mark in Broadcasting and Digital Media. Sinclair Broadcast Group and Sinclair Digital Solutions are dedicated to making Sinclair a communications powerhouse! We are the largest and most diversified television broadcasting company in the country today. Sinclair owns and operates, programs or provides services to 162 stations located in 79 geographically diverse markets and our Digital group is focused on bringing the most engaging content to web, mobile and over-the-top broadcasting to audiences all over the country! Our success is the result of extraordinary employees and an exemplary management team who believe in a vision and are dedicated ensuring a great future for our employees. Whether you are an industry veteran or a just starting out, you can find it at Sinclair! We are advancing the world of Broadcasting and we want YOU to join our winning team!
Sinclair Broadcast Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
Posted on: June 3, 2016
Read Job Details
Page 1 of 11