E.W. Scripps has an immediate opening for a GRAPHIC ARTIST/ANIMATOR based at the NBC affiliate in Milwaukee, WI. In this position you will create graphics for local and remote clients, specifically Las Vegas, Nevada, focused on local TV news and broadcast advertising.
- Conceptualize, design and create still graphics and animations for TV news, sales, sports, promotion and digital products.
- Construct lower thirds, full screens, map and ticker templates as assigned
- Collaborate with news managers, producers and reporters to create graphics that will enhance news stories, weathercasts, sales collateral material.
- Assist in troubleshooting of any graphics software or hardware issues and work with technical department to resolve workflow challenges for remote client locations.
- Participate in presentation of creative concepts
- Suggest solutions based on technical requirements/ limitations within a limited time frame.
Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Cinema 4D
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods via visual media.
- Ability to construct lower thirds, full screen and ticker templates as assigned.
- Proficiency of VIZRT technology and understanding of transition logic.
- Ability and desire to learn new technology to create graphics
- Must have strong design skills and able to generate a project from concept to completion or work in concert with others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required as well as the ability to successfully work in a team environment.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task and prioritize under tight deadlines.
- Active listening, visualization skills, and creativity.
- Ability to self-manage assigned projects and tasks, and communicate risks in a timely manner.
- Must submit a link to demo reel in order to be considered for the role.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor or Associates degree in related field, and/or equivalent experience.
- Previous graphics and art production work with background in a broadcast environment desired.
- Working knowledge of VIZRT technology; knowledge of data integration within VIZRT
Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including holidays, evenings and weekends.
PLEASE PROVIDE A SAMPLE OR A LINK TO A SAMPLE OF YOUR WORK
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners, with 33 television stations in 24 markets and a reach of nearly one in five U.S. households. It also owns 34 radio stations in eight markets. Scripps also runs an expanding collection of local and national digital journalism and information businesses, including podcast industry leader Midroll Media and over-the-top video news service Newsy. Scripps also produces television shows including “THE LIST” and “The Now,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and serves as the long-time steward of the nation’s largest, most successful and longest-running educational program, the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
The E.W. Scripps Company is an equal opportunity employer.
Posted on: February 20, 2018
Read Job Details
WTMJ-TV, The Scripps NBC Station in Milwaukee, WI is searching for an experienced and aggressive Senior Director of Local Content. The ideal candidate understands how quickly local media is changing and can effectively create a content plan that is truly equal on all platforms. We are looking for a story-teller who is excellent with editorial decisions and knows how to attack a story and direct a team of journalists on how to dig deep for the maximum viewer impact.
We are looking for someone who can effectively communicate a deep understanding of the market and knows what stories the communities surrounding Milwaukee will care about most. This is not about fancy graphics, multiple animated opens and clever lower third supers. This position is all about great content, and knowing how and where to find it.
The Senior Director pf Local Media Content reports to the General Manager. As a member of the leadership team, they lead a team in executing the Scripps content strategy of delivering quality local journalism and meeting local consumer expectations on current and emerging platforms, including app, OTT audio/video, social, television and station web site. This includes local content vision and strategy to address consumer needs, content standards, delivery, quality control and continuous improvement. The primary focus of this role is on the local community/consumer and delivering the right content on the right platforms at the right time.
- Ensures the news operations build and maintain key relationships to foster a positive news image in the community.
- Applies knowledge of the consumer and local community to know consumer expectations on all platforms, set brand and strategy and align organization to deliver against expectations.
- Uses the Scripps content strategy as the foundation and set the specific local content strategy, tone, and expectation in the newsroom.
- Collaborates with team to develop and implement strategic plans for market growth on all platforms.
- Leads a highly collaborative team in the daily and long-term execution of the content strategy.
- Ensures centralized, shared editorial process and resources to enable seamless delivery to all platforms.
- Works closely with direct reports and extended team to evaluate product trends on all platforms and to set goals that drive continuous improvement.
- Works closely with direct reports and extended team to continuously evaluate and adjust workflow so that operations are fully optimized across the entire newsroom.
- Develops and maintains annual content budget to comply with station guidelines.
- Delegates and empowers team to provide effective coaching and support to foster continuous improvement.
- Develops a high-performing, highly interdependent team by aligning team purpose vision and goals, building trust, establishing clear roles, facilitating effective planning, execution and recognition; Addresses teaming issues in a timely manner.
- Works with team to continually assess staff training needs and provides guidance to ensure training and information needs are met.
- Takes ownership of all platforms so that tradeoffs are managed without detriment to our consumers.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related discipline required.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the media industry, in positions of steadily increasing responsibility required.
- Familiarity with the local market, including current or prior residence in market strongly desired.
- Experience conceiving and executing multi-platform projects required.
- Experience leading content creation teams on a minimum of two platforms desired.
- Experience acquiring audience with a demonstrated pattern or track record of success desired.
- Experience managing brand desired.
Skills & Abilities
Posted on: February 16, 2018
- Must be able to lead large multi-level teams, with a preference for those who have direct experience managing teams with 40+ employees and directing the work of people managers.
- Strong understanding of journalistic ethics and libel.
- Local connections and community knowledge / community causes.
- Customer focus: understands customer needs, raises the bar on customer service, develops unified approach to exceed customer expectations.
- Broad knowledge of all media platforms.
- Effective communicator.
- Strategy: Able to facilitate collaboration to develop, understand and execute strategic plans.
- Manage execution: setting expectations, delegating, facilitating, removing barriers, measuring performance, and fostering accountability/recognition.
- Analytics/data: Distill information from many data sources, and decipher the most important information to identify trends and opportunities, take into account other perspectives.
- Engage and inspire at all levels: create an inclusive and high-performing environment where people feel appreciated, valued, and are committed to excellence.
- Manage conflict: Constructive in working through differences, handles recurrent conflict, resolves issues between employees, preserves relationships.
- Decision making: Ties decisions to strategy, uses sound logic, makes timely decisions , brings others into decision making process, chooses the best alternative to advance the mission, and ensure operational excellence and financial responsibility.
- Coach: Continuously cultivates capabilities by asking questions and equipping staff with tools, knowledge and opportunities needed to develop and achieve high performance.
- Delegation: is clear about lines of responsibility, empowers staff to act, , offers guidance without taking over, enables team to manage daily operation of their teams.
- Promote collaboration and teamwork: foster trusting environment, clarifies roles, sets priorities, celebrates success, gives attention to the health of team.
Read Job Details
POSITION SUMMARY The Producer is responsible for creating compelling and creative broadcast and digital/online shows and stories for Wisconsin Public Television. This individual is a production specialist and should exhibit a high degree of skill in project visualization and conception, field and studio production; single and multi-camera work; scripting and post-production. Content focuses primarily on arts, culture and feature shows and stories, and may extend to other areas as well. Must always maintain factual accuracy and uphold the highest principles of editorial integrity. This position reports to the Executive Producer of Cultural Affairs. SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES 1. Proactively research and develop broadcast and digital show and story ideas. Work with Executive Producer to develop and define new productions. 2. Produce original, compelling and creative short-form video stories for use in broadcast programs, digitally online, in classrooms or in social media. 3. Produce broadcast and digital content as part of WPT’s Young Performers Initiative (WisconsinPerforms.org). Collaborate with YPI education partners to determine project needs and best plans for fulfilling those needs. 4. Produce live and post-produced studio and remote, multi-camera full length shows. Work with partners, venue personnel, and WPT staff to determine best strategies for coverage, presentation and delivery. Manage multiple versions of projects (e.g.: broadcast & live stream, DVD, archived stream, educational use, etc.) when appropriate. 5. Oversee all elements of assigned productions including, but not limited to: Timeline; location scouts; scheduling production resources; communication with venue and participants; conducting field interviews; scripting; overseeing edit; and delivery for broadcast or digital distribution. 6. Communicate and collaborate with other departments such as Development, Promotions, Online and Community Engagement related to assigned productions. 7. Handle all project administrative procedures such as creating budgets, budget status reports, rights and releases, service agreements and other administrative duties as assigned. 8. Actively engage with diverse communities throughout Wisconsin to discover sources for shows and stories, with a goal of infusing diverse perspectives and experiences into work product. 9. Actively participate in staff and partner meetings. 10. Work quickly, creatively, professionally and calmly in high energy, deadline-based environment. Handle multiple tasks and priorities efficiently. Work well independently and in teams. 11. Demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships and interactions. Recognize multiculturalism and diversity as organizational assets. 12. Maintain standards of journalistic ethics and excellence as described in WPT/WPR Statement of Ethics for Editorial Staff: http://bami.uwex.edu/broadcasting-and-media-innovations-ethical-guidelines 13. Other duties as assigned. Possibilities include, as skill sets allow, video & audio editing, operation of video camera to gather field content, creation and distribution of social media content, and multi-camera directing. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS • Creative video storytelling skills combined with editorial judgment. • Excellent organizational and communication skills. Proactive and self-directed. Must actively research and pitch ideas then act on approved ideas. • Ability to work some evenings, weekends and occasional overnight travel as projects warrant. • Calm and resourceful when challenges occur, or when schedule is unexpectedly disrupted and when under tight deadlines. • Travel to urban and rural areas throughout Wisconsin as required to meet people, explore places and events, gather information and complete projects. Respectful interactions and an inquisitive nature to build and maintain sources. • Ability to assess visual and aural elements for productions and show edits. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience must include at least 2 years full time professional video production work. • Demonstrated ability to research ideas and produce compelling, entertaining and informative shows and stories. • Creative, engaging and clear writing/scripting for broadcast, web and social media audiences. Ability to write scripts, with factual integrity, that move, surprise, dazzle and engage. • Experience producing music, arts or cultural content. • Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and work independently, as well as collaboratively and cooperatively in teams. • Organizational skills necessary for successful show and story production and to consistently meet all deadlines. • A desire to learn, a proactive attitude, and an ability to adapt quickly to change. • Ability to communicate with tact, diplomacy and professionalism with colleagues, partners and the general public. Must interact and work well with young performers as well as adults. • Knowledge of basic journalistic editorial principles, ethics and standards. • Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and incorporating diverse perspectives into work product. NOT REQUIRED BUT DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS • Experience using Avid Media Composer, Premiere or equivalent non-linear editing systems. • Experience directing live or live-on-tape studio or remote, multi-camera performance productions. • Experience operating Canon C100 camera package or other professional-quality video camera. • Familiarity or experience with public media. • Experience with social media and web distribution. SALARY We expect to pay a salary in the mid to high $40’s with actual pay dependent on experience, qualifications and official title. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package. Details here: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/.
Posted on: February 13, 2018
Read Job Details
WISN-TV has an opening for a Part-Time Production Assistant. We are looking for a team player who understands the flexible schedule that the broadcast industry requires to join our production crew.
This person will be responsible for TV set and location lighting as well as floor directing.
• Floor direct high-paced newscasts and other studio productions
• Light in studio and on location
• Studio maintenance (changing studio lights, moving sets, cleaning)
• Essential job functions include lifting (occasionally heavy) and climbing a ladder
• Previous lighting, floor directing and production experience preferred
• Previous live production experience preferred
• Related military experience will be considered
• Must have a good attitude, be willing to learn, and be a team player
• Must be able to problem solve quickly, communicate and work well under pressure and tight deadlines
• Attention to detail a must
• Must have a valid Wisconsin driver’s license
• Must be able to adjust to a flexible schedule that may include evenings, early mornings, weekends, and holidays
Posted on: February 6, 2018
• Degree in broadcast production, communications, technical theater or similar or equivalent work experience preferred
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
Read Job Details
WLUK-TV FOX 11 Green Bay has an immediate opening for a creative News Producer. Good Day Wisconsin is the #1 morning newscast in Northeast Wisconsin. We are searching for someone who thrives on creative journalism. The combination of hard news and morning information will allow your creativity to shine. The candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day production of our morning newscasts and digital content. This position will also work closely with the Executive Producer and the Assistant News Director on the newscast block and its content. In this position you will determine the content and flow of newscasts, work with management and on-air staff to generate and write stories, and also develop content for our web site.
Make your mark in Broadcasting and Digital Media. Sinclair Broadcast Group and Sinclair Digital Solutions are dedicated to making Sinclair a communications powerhouse! We are the largest and most diversified television broadcasting company in the country today. Sinclair owns and operates, programs or provides services to 162 stations located in 79 geographically diverse markets and our Digital group is focused on bringing the most engaging content to web, mobile and over-the-top broadcasting to audiences all over the country! Our success is the result of extraordinary employees and an exemplary management team who believe in a vision and are dedicated ensuring a great future for our employees. Whether you are an industry veteran or a just starting out, you can find it at Sinclair! We are advancing the world of Broadcasting and we want YOU to join our winning team!
Sinclair Broadcast Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
Posted on: June 3, 2016
Read Job Details
Page 1 of 11