The News Producer selects and organizes stories for broadcast platforms as well as digital web platforms including the stations website and social media pages.
News Producers must be capable of making quick and sound editorial decisions, including:
• Deciding which stories are of most interest to our Local 5 news consumers.
• Prioritize stories and story development efforts.
• Determine the order in which stories will be told in broadcasts.
• Write compelling broadcast content focused for our audience.
• Be able to quickly adjust stories within newscasts to accommodate breaking news.
• Communicate effectively with coworkers, anchors, directors as well as field reporters.
• Write informative and detailed web platform stories including links and additional information viewers will find useful.
• Write compelling teases to bring viewers to our broadcasts.
• Time broadcasts and insure they are clean and correct on the air.
• Edits video for broadcast as well as online use.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, communications, or related field of equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Fluency in English with strong spelling and grammar.
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with both coworkers and the public.
• Proficiency with computers, tablets and mobile digital devices.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Flexibility to work any shift, with some late notice of shift and schedule changes.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
A News Producer must be able to stand, sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
WFRV and WJMN Television Stations and Nexstar Broadcasting are an equal opportunity employer.
Posted on: August 13, 2018
Read Job Details
WITI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. OVERVIEW: FOX 6 is seeking an aggressive, enterprising reporter to join our team. We produce more local news than any other television station in the state and need someone who is hungry and ready to get content online and on the air all the time. This person will handle our political beat – so an interest in politics as well as strong GA reporting skills are a must.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Our political beat is a key part of our branding and community commitment – so an interest in politics is a must. Politics is a major beat in the state and has an impact on our news consumers on all platforms. Developing sources and breaking stories is what it’s all about- you MUST be able to demonstrate how you juggle sources, work contacts and develop exclusive content. You must be able to demonstrate the stories on your resume reel are enterprised and not a handout from the assignment desk. If you need the desk or a newspaper for stories, we don’t need you here. These days being a great reporter includes using all the technology tools: online postings, social media, videography, and whatever gets invented next.
REQUIREMENTS: You must have at least 3 to 5 years’ experience. You must be able to show your exceptional writing, story organization and live shot skills. You must be able to show your digital reporting skills. Timid and bland won’t cut it here. You must be a team player who works well with photojournalists, editors, producers and managers.
Posted on: August 3, 2018
Read Job Details
WITI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FOX 6 News is seeking a creative, multi-tasking photojournalist to join our team. WITI was named the NPPA Station Of The Year in 2016 & 2017 and we don’t plan on stopping there. What does that mean? Well we take storytelling to another level here. This isn’t a place with a “someone just tell me what to shoot” mentality. We’re a team-oriented station where photojournalists and reporters work in collaboration to tell the best story every day. We provide equipment that is cutting edge. This includes Sony 320 camera, Go Pros and an army of drones to use once you pass certification. That said, not every day is the same! One day you might be covering the Green Bay Packers, the next you might be working closely with a reporter, live on the scene of a breaking news story, and the next day you’re solo, putting together a Nat sound piece on a topic you found interesting and know will be great for air and online. If you’re passionate and thrive on great storytelling and want to work at a place where hard work, a strong sense of team and creativity is rewarded, this is your place!
• Capture the best sequences, natural sound and moments while collaborating with reporters, producers and managers to produce compelling stories that our viewers will remember.
• Operate ENG Live Trucks /Dejeros and other mobile gear and live equipment.
• Knowledge of lighting techniques for live shots and interviews
• Creative use of audio as part of your story telling tools
• Can pitch story ideas that will contribute to the station’s content including ideas for photo driven stories
• Ability to edit stories with Non-Linear software such as Final Cut X
• Edit video for publication specific to Internet
• Open to learning how to write copy, captions or headlines to contribute to our digital platforms
• A Bachelor’s Degree is strongly preferred.
Posted on: August 2, 2018
• At least two years of Television News shooting experience, as well as technical knowledge of Non-Linear editing software such as (Final Cut X) and photo equipment (Sony 320 cameras), in the commercial television news industry.
• Must be physically able to lift, carry and handle 30 to 50 pounds of camera gear, and deal with the realities of a Wisconsin winter or summer.
• Must have valid driver’s license, clean driving record and obtain a valid Wisconsin Driver’s license.
• Background check and drug screen are required.
Read Job Details
WITI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FOX 6 News is seeking a multi-media journalist to join our team. We’re looking for someone who has the passion to pursue stories long before the competition, strive to be the lead every night (both on-air and online) and communicate with compelling writing and on-air performance. Milwaukee is hyper-competitive! You have to want to win every day!
RESPONSIBILITIES: The world of TV News has evolved, so the successful candidate for this position must be well-versed in all aspects of today’s reporting landscape, from shooting and editing with state-of-the-art HD equipment, to online postings, to working sources and of course being ready for whatever else is about to happen next in our business.
QUALIFICATIONS: You must be a reporter as eager to break stories on the web and digital platforms as well as on television news. Live reporting skills are a must! You need at least two years experience. Link us up with your most recent work – all of it being material you shot and edited yourself – and tell us how you think, how you work. You know the drill. If you can’t work in a team environment or you like getting your story ideas from the newspaper or assignment desk don’t bother.
Read Job Details
WXOW, ABC affiliate in La Crosse, WI has an immediate opening for a passionate Multimedia Journalist to join its award-winning team. This is a full time position. We want a creative storyteller who will fight for the lead story and showcase his or her work on multiple platforms, including television, web, mobile and social media. The ideal candidate must have a strong desire for news, with the ability to handle breaking news and live shots with confidence and ease. This is the perfect job for an ambitious, aggressive, curious and motivated journalist. This is not a job for someone who expects “down time”. The successful candidate will have proven skills to develop sources, work a beat, and have solid writing and editing skills. A degree in journalism or a related field is preferred, along with on-air television experience. Experience with AVID iNews and Media Composer is a bonus. A valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record required.
Posted on: August 1, 2018
Read Job Details
TMJ4, The Scripps NBC station in Milwaukee, WI is searching for an experienced and aggressive Senior Manager of Investigative & Enterprise Content. The ideal candidate must demonstrate the ability to successfully dig deep and mine strong original material that will have a deep impact on the viewers of the Milwaukee region.
The Senior Manager of Investigative & Enterprise Content is directly responsible for the planning and execution of investigative and enterprise news content across all platforms and shares responsibility for oversight of the entire newsroom with other department leaders. This position requires local content vision and strategy to address consumer needs, content standards, delivery, quality control and continuous improvement.
- Collaborates with Senior Director of Local Content and team of peer leaders to leverage the Scripps content strategy as the foundation for market-specific local content strategy. This position directs effort for enterprise and investigative content and has specific attention on leading a team of people to regularly and reliably produce targeted enterprise and investigative stories of impact and importance to our community.
- Partners with other content and marketing leaders to execute enterprise content strategy to plan daily and future stories for publication on all platforms.
- Hires, schedules and manages team of enterprise/investigative journalists and planners to deliver and continuously improve our enterprise and investigative editorial product.
- Creates strategies, tactics and measurements to ensure the quality and quantity of the stories our enterprise/investigative journalists produce meet our standards and drive audience to all our platforms.
- Builds, assigns and manages content beats in accordance with audience demands and community impact. Also serves as a subject matter expert, providing guidance and coaching across the local media operation.
- Directs the planning and execution of investigative content and big coverage projects or news events for the station.
- Develops a pipeline of talent for this and other Scripps local media businesses.
- Monitors product for compliance to federal, state and local laws as well as First and Fourteenth Amendments, and trains staff to do the same.
- Responsible for enterprise/investigative budget planning and monitoring.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related discipline or a combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in the media industry with heavy emphasis on investigative reporting, 5 years previous news producing experience preferred.
- The ability to execute a digital investigation first or investigative story success on all platforms.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience leading a team.
- Experience leading content creation teams on a minimum of 2 platforms desired.
- Experience acquiring audience with a demonstrated pattern or track record of success desired.
Skills & Abilities
Posted on: July 31, 2018
- Journalistic ethics, law and libel.
- Local connections and community knowledge / community causes.
- Strong editorial judgement.
- Customer focus: understands customer needs, raises the bar on customer service, develops unified approach to exceed customer expectations.
- Broad knowledge of all media platforms.
- Highly effective communicator.
- Strategy: Able to facilitate collaboration to develop, understand and execute strategic plans.
- Manage execution: setting expectations, delegating, facilitating, removing barriers, measuring performance, and fostering accountability/recognition.
- Decision making: Ties decisions to strategy, uses sound logic, makes decisions at the right time, brings others into decision making process, chooses the best alternative.
- Coach: Continuously cultivates capabilities by asking the right questions and equipping staff with tools, knowledge and opportunities they need to develop themselves.
- Promote collaboration and teamwork.
Read Job Details
WKBT-News 8 is looking for a creative visual storyteller to be our next full time news videographer. We value shooters who understand how- to technical tools to make memorable stories. Responsibilities include shooting news stories with and without reporters, editing, operating live news gathering equipment and producing content for our social news platforms. Hands-on experience is preferred and a valid driver’s license is required.
Posted on: July 30, 2018
Read Job Details
WAOW has an immediate opening for a passionate Multimedia Journalist to join its award-winning team. We want a creative storyteller who will fight for the lead story and showcase his or her work on multiple platforms every day, including television, web, mobile and social media. The ideal candidate must have a strong desire for news, with the ability to handle breaking news and live shots with confidence and ease. This is the perfect job for an ambitious, aggressive, curious and motivated journalist. This is not a job for someone who expects “down time.” The successful candidate will have proven skills to develop sources, work a beat, and have solid writing and editing skills. WAOW is part of Quincy Media Inc., a family owned company. Throughout Quincy, positions are available for candidates with all levels of experience and the advancement you are seeking. Visit www.CareersAtQuincy.com for links to all stations and opportunities.
Posted on: July 27, 2018
Read Job Details
WBAY-TV is the market-leading ABC affiliate in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The station won 3 Edward R. Murrow Awards in 2017, including Overall Excellence. Our news department produces 33 ½ hours of news each week. Wbay.com is the number one news and information website in all of NE Wisconsin. WBAY-TV is looking for a content-driven producer to join our award winning news team. This producer should have the ability to seek out and present relevant and immediate stories with a keen eye towards important news of the day and enterprise. We need a self-starter who can juggle planning, producing, social media and web. The best candidate is someone who is consistent, creative, in charge, flexible and energetic. Applicants must have a bachelors’ degree in Journalism or related field and previous newsroom experience.
• Produces assigned newscast. Responsible for story selection, treatment, writing stories using available video, interviews, graphics and other resources to clearly convey what is happening in an engaging way that viewers understand
• Thrives on information that is still unfolding and happening in the moment.
• Can clearly communicate with production staff, anchors and field crews
• Excellent writer, understands and consumes news from many different sources. Understands role of social media in newsgathering.
• Can take charge in the booth when timing newscasts to add breaking news, or drop stories for time
Posted on: July 26, 2018
• At least 1 year working at a television station with a strong news department or a digital, multi-platform news operation
• Excellent conversational writing and communication skills
• Experience in web and graphic design software, digital publishing applications and multi-media production software
• Experience digital content management systems and Edius Video editing
• Knowledge of media production, communication and dissemination techniques and methods
Read Job Details