See if this sounds better than what you’re doing right now. You get to lead a newsroom loaded with talent at a dominant television station. You get to work for a family owned company who still loves broadcasting and cares deeply about the product and their people. And you get to live in a gorgeous part of the country 10 minutes away from lakes, rivers, snow, golf, a ski resort and more. And we actually believe in a work life balance. (Yes, we do. And you would too if you lived in a place like this!) Quincy Media’s WAOW-TV in Wausau, Wisconsin is looking for an experienced newsroom manager. We need a strong leader with at least five years of experience. We need a great storyteller and someone who lives to make the team around them even stronger. You have to love news. And I mean love it. You have to be a catalyst and a leader in our digital and social efforts and set the tone every day in the newsroom. If that’s you, this could be one of the best jobs you will ever have. You will report to the General Manager and you will have the chance to work closely with other department heads to help us reach our next level of success.
Posted on: February 20, 2018
Read Job Details
WTMJ-TV, The Scripps NBC Station in Milwaukee, WI is searching for an experienced and aggressive Senior Director of Local Content. The ideal candidate understands how quickly local media is changing and can effectively create a content plan that is truly equal on all platforms. We are looking for a story-teller who is excellent with editorial decisions and knows how to attack a story and direct a team of journalists on how to dig deep for the maximum viewer impact.
We are looking for someone who can effectively communicate a deep understanding of the market and knows what stories the communities surrounding Milwaukee will care about most. This is not about fancy graphics, multiple animated opens and clever lower third supers. This position is all about great content, and knowing how and where to find it.
The Senior Director pf Local Media Content reports to the General Manager. As a member of the leadership team, they lead a team in executing the Scripps content strategy of delivering quality local journalism and meeting local consumer expectations on current and emerging platforms, including app, OTT audio/video, social, television and station web site. This includes local content vision and strategy to address consumer needs, content standards, delivery, quality control and continuous improvement. The primary focus of this role is on the local community/consumer and delivering the right content on the right platforms at the right time.
- Ensures the news operations build and maintain key relationships to foster a positive news image in the community.
- Applies knowledge of the consumer and local community to know consumer expectations on all platforms, set brand and strategy and align organization to deliver against expectations.
- Uses the Scripps content strategy as the foundation and set the specific local content strategy, tone, and expectation in the newsroom.
- Collaborates with team to develop and implement strategic plans for market growth on all platforms.
- Leads a highly collaborative team in the daily and long-term execution of the content strategy.
- Ensures centralized, shared editorial process and resources to enable seamless delivery to all platforms.
- Works closely with direct reports and extended team to evaluate product trends on all platforms and to set goals that drive continuous improvement.
- Works closely with direct reports and extended team to continuously evaluate and adjust workflow so that operations are fully optimized across the entire newsroom.
- Develops and maintains annual content budget to comply with station guidelines.
- Delegates and empowers team to provide effective coaching and support to foster continuous improvement.
- Develops a high-performing, highly interdependent team by aligning team purpose vision and goals, building trust, establishing clear roles, facilitating effective planning, execution and recognition; Addresses teaming issues in a timely manner.
- Works with team to continually assess staff training needs and provides guidance to ensure training and information needs are met.
- Takes ownership of all platforms so that tradeoffs are managed without detriment to our consumers.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related discipline required.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the media industry, in positions of steadily increasing responsibility required.
- Familiarity with the local market, including current or prior residence in market strongly desired.
- Experience conceiving and executing multi-platform projects required.
- Experience leading content creation teams on a minimum of two platforms desired.
- Experience acquiring audience with a demonstrated pattern or track record of success desired.
- Experience managing brand desired.
Skills & Abilities
Posted on: February 16, 2018
- Must be able to lead large multi-level teams, with a preference for those who have direct experience managing teams with 40+ employees and directing the work of people managers.
- Strong understanding of journalistic ethics and libel.
- Local connections and community knowledge / community causes.
- Customer focus: understands customer needs, raises the bar on customer service, develops unified approach to exceed customer expectations.
- Broad knowledge of all media platforms.
- Effective communicator.
- Strategy: Able to facilitate collaboration to develop, understand and execute strategic plans.
- Manage execution: setting expectations, delegating, facilitating, removing barriers, measuring performance, and fostering accountability/recognition.
- Analytics/data: Distill information from many data sources, and decipher the most important information to identify trends and opportunities, take into account other perspectives.
- Engage and inspire at all levels: create an inclusive and high-performing environment where people feel appreciated, valued, and are committed to excellence.
- Manage conflict: Constructive in working through differences, handles recurrent conflict, resolves issues between employees, preserves relationships.
- Decision making: Ties decisions to strategy, uses sound logic, makes timely decisions , brings others into decision making process, chooses the best alternative to advance the mission, and ensure operational excellence and financial responsibility.
- Coach: Continuously cultivates capabilities by asking questions and equipping staff with tools, knowledge and opportunities needed to develop and achieve high performance.
- Delegation: is clear about lines of responsibility, empowers staff to act, , offers guidance without taking over, enables team to manage daily operation of their teams.
- Promote collaboration and teamwork: foster trusting environment, clarifies roles, sets priorities, celebrates success, gives attention to the health of team.
Read Job Details
If you are passionate about the power of social media, winning breaking news and always eager to deliver engaging content—here’s your chance. As a key member of the newsroom, you will report to the news director and play a critical management role at a dominant TV station. Plus, you get to join a family owned company and live in a gorgeous part of the country. Quincy Media’s WAOW-TV in Wausau, WI is looking for a Social Media and Content Manager. Committed to strong journalism and community service, we are looking for a leader, a coach and a hands-on social media expert to help us go to new heights. The successful candidate must have solid news judgement, exceptional writing skills as well as strong creativity, planning leadership and communication skills. The position will also work closely with our marketing and sales teams to help them create and execute effective campaigns across all our platforms. This job isn’t about coding. It’s about telling great stories with accuracy and immediacy. It’s about being creative and being willing to try new things. A degree in social media/journalism and 2 years of experience preferred. Knowledge of Facebook best practices for journalists, Social News Desk, Frankly Media/Worldnow CMS, Google 360 analytics and INews preferred.
Posted on: February 13, 2018
Read Job Details
WISC-TV/Channel3000.com, Southern Wisconsin’s number one station and digital source for news, is looking for the next great storyteller to join our team. We’re looking for someone passionate about news who can find the most unique, relevant and meaningful stories to share with our viewers. Creativity, flexibility, and an interest in digital and social media is a must. Here are a few things you’d be signing up for: • Turning enterprise stories on a daily basis, including developing ideas, shooting, writing and editing. Our ideal candidate will be both skilled at working with a photographer and as a MMJ depending on the assignment. • Delivering engaging live reports, especially in breaking news situations. • Innovating and experimenting with the latest technology in digital. We’d love someone willing to share their ideas on how we can continue to be a leader in digital and social. • Building sources within our community, and showing you know how to listen to what our viewers are interested in. Here are a few more job requirements: • An open mind and a passion for great journalism • Ability to swing tight deadlines • A valid driver’s license and good driving record • BA/BS in journalism or related field • Experience in both hard news and feature reporting—political experience also beneficial • 1-2 years of news reporting, prior anchoring experience a plus
Read Job Details
WEAU 13 News, the dominant station in Eau Claire, WI, is searching for a multimedia journalist. Our multimedia journalists are enterprising, self-starters. They come to the table with original, LEAD story ideas, and dig for “the get” relentlessly. They are storytellers who incorporate “real people” in their work. This position involves shooting, writing, and editing television news packages, as well as producing value-added content for WEAU.com. Our on-air journalists are also expected to maintain social media pages, and be involved in the community. Experience with breaking news and working on deadline in a fast-paced environment is preferred, but outstanding recent college graduates will be considered. Candidates must have a working knowledge of all social media platforms, competency in web image editing, excellent on-air and web writing skills and proficiency in AP style. If your news judgement is sound, you pay close attention to detail and can excel in stressful situations, we want to hear from you. WEAU 13 News broadcasts to 26 counties in western Wisconsin and southeastern Minnesota. We’re an hour’s drive away from the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area in a growing community with great schools and health care.
Posted on: February 8, 2018
Read Job Details
KBJR-TV in beautiful Duluth, MN has an immediate opening for a news video editor who thrives in a fast-paced environment. We need someone with a creative eye, technical expertise and can-do attitude. In addition to editing video for our two stations, you will also be called upon to shoot news stories on your own or with a reporter. Experience with Panasonic P2 cameras and Avid Media Composer is a plus. Duluth, MN is located on the shore of Lake Superior and is rich with everything from outdoor adventures to arts and entertainment year-round.
Posted on: February 7, 2018
Read Job Details
WKBT News 8 is hiring an experienced full-time News Reporter with the proven ability to produce compelling local content. We are an award winning, hard- working newsroom committed to strong journalism and outstanding community coverage. La Crosse, WI is a great place to live and work. College degree is required and hands-on newsroom experience is strongly preferred.
Posted on: February 5, 2018
Read Job Details
Requirements: Three plus years’ anchor experience and a degree in Journalism or related field required. Ideal candidate will also have experience in news reporting. Must have strong anchoring and reporting skills Strong content gathering skills Must be a strong writer with solid news judgment Some investigative reporting will be required MMJ experience preferred. Must be flexible in scheduling. Valid driver’s license and insurability required This job requires a self-starter with good news judgment, strong writing ability and solid live skills.
Posted on: January 23, 2018
Read Job Details
WAOW has an immediate opening for a passionate Weekend Anchor/Multimedia Journalist to join our award-winning team. We want a creative storyteller who will fight for the lead story and showcase his or her work on multiple platforms every day, including television, web, mobile and social media. The ideal candidate must have a strong desire for news, with the ability to handle breaking news and live shots with confidence and ease. This is the perfect job for an ambitious, motivated journalist looking to jump start their career as an Anchor. This is not a job for someone who expects “down time.” The successful candidate will have proven skills to develop sources, work a beat, and have solid writing and editing skills. WAOW is part of Quincy Media, Inc., a family owned company. Throughout Quincy, positions are available for candidates with all levels of experience and the advancement you are seeking. Visit www.CareersAtQuincy.com for links to all stations and opportunities.
Posted on: January 22, 2018
Read Job Details