WITI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. WITI FOX 6 will have an opening for a Director of Engineering to be a part of our unique, multifaceted broadcast operation. WITI FOX 6 is a market-leader in local news and special programming. In addition to our award-winning news operation WITI FOX 6 produces over 60 hours of live television each year.
OVERVIEW: Responsibility for the technical operations including technology, studio, on-air news, remote operations, production, HVAC system, and electrical power systems for WITI FOX 6.1 and 6.2. Will direct the development and administration of departmental operating plans and budgets and capital projects. Directs and administers guidelines to assure the proper functioning and maintenance of all technical equipment and systems. Additional duties include staff selection and development, compliance with all local, state and federal law. The Director of Engineering also oversees the WITI IT department with technology innovation, support and maintenance of our state-of-the-art broadcast facility. You will be responsible for hands-on day-to-day technical work as the manager of our maintenance and construction teams.
• This position will define and implement the technical advancements necessary to operate WITI TV 6.1 sub channels, including transmitter operations and maintenance, technical production operations, Management Information Systems (MIS), and facility maintenance. Will provide the design and implementation of systems as required for future technical enhancements.
• Responsible for preparation and monthly accountability of the yearly budget for the Departments. Negotiates capital and operating purchases. Supervises major tower work, RF transmission line, antenna, and safety compliance.
• Responsible for all FCC compliance needs.
• Responsible for facility maintenance, repairs and budgets, service contracts, inspections, building upgrades and remodels.
• Responsible for all live production equipment and its’ maintenance, repairs, upkeep and troubleshooting. Equipment installation and maintenance of the transmitter, microwave and satellite systems, video servers edit suites, studio lighting, video routing, terminal equipment, monitors, video switchers and audio consoles.
• Will work closely with the NEWS department to insure production quality, as well as on air and master control quality. Will provide leadership and supervision of the production technical staff.
• Will provide structure for the safety concerns of the stations and will work with HR in state and federal required safety compliance.
• All other duties as assigned in support of the stations.
• Strong IT skills including TCP/IP networking concepts and equipment, storage systems, redundant computer system concepts, administration, etc.
• Expert-level knowledge of current and next generation digital television architecture, equipment and standards including video-over-IP, encoders, decoders, distribution, routing, switching, recording & playback, etc.
• Ability to use AutoCAD for wiring and design
• Knowledge of FCC regulations for Class-A television broadcast operations including logging requirements, EAS and closed captioning, ATSC/53 specifications, etc.
• Knowledge of RF microwave technologies and standards including BAS and Part 101
• Experience with a union environment.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs
• Ability to respond to trouble calls 24×7
• Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays as required
• Excellent verbal, written and people skills
• Excellent project management skills
• Experience with UHF broadcast transmitters a plus
• Experience with large scale UPS and HVAC systems in a broadcast plant a plus