The Digital Multimedia Journalist is responsible for executing strategy on TODAY’S TMJ4’s social media platforms and increasing Facebook Likes, Twitter followers, Instagram followers, viewer engagement on all social platforms and leading the charge to experiment and succeed on additional social networks. We’re looking for a hybrid candidate who can also function as an adept Multimedia Journalist who can produce media rich online stories in the field that could potentially air on the TV broadcast. The ideal candidate is news-centric who is highly competitive and driven to dominate on all social and digital platforms.
- Manage, innovate, engage with & interact with all of our social media audiences
- Write, shoot, create and edit content for all platforms
- Produce social media videos and host live streaming efforts on Facebook Live and other emerging platforms
- Execute strategies and tactics for social media audience growth
- Review web, mobile and social media analytics daily, weekly and monthly to optimize platform growth
- Leverage CrowdTangle, Chartbeat, Google analytics and other social listening tools to grow post engagement, following
- Train and coach others on social media, web and mobile operations and best practices to engage viewers.
- Perform other digital duties as needed and as directed by management
- Under general direction, develops sources, gathers information and shoots and writes news and feature articles that are accurate, informative, balanced and entertaining that meet the highest journalistic standards.
- Experienced contributor responsible for a significant coverage area. Delivers complex assignments with minimal direction and trusted to operate with considerable latitude.
- Identifies and develops news, feature and enterprise stories of interest relevant to the lives of our users, a detailed understanding of the community and stories published, while also monitoring competing media (newspapers, online, radio and television) to ensure digital platforms maintain a competitive advantage.
- Take photographs or shoot video (or a combination thereof) as necessary to tell the story or as assigned by a supervising editor. Capable of using a camera equipped with still and video capabilities.
- Enhance digital news content by suggesting or creating images, video, graphics, outside links, maps, and interactive elements
- Actively participates with newsroom leadership to align work and organizational resources with strategic goals. Involved in short and long-term content planning
- Meets established deadlines.
- Inspire people and encourage teamwork; being open-minded and flexible to new thinking.
- Perform other duties as needed and directed
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- At least 3+ years professional experience in a newsroom preferred
Skills & Abilities
- Outstanding editing and writing skills; demonstrates attention to detail in both word editing and writing for publication. Strong working knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Able to use digital, video, mapping, social networking and other technology to bolster news reports.
- Self-starter and multi-tasker, capable of demonstrating outstanding news judgment with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates skill in time management and setting priorities.
- Advanced knowledge of social media platforms, i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
- Web Publishing — CMS experience
- Proficient in Photoshop, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficient with shooting video with a professional level camera and editing with a professional editing system such as Final Cut Pro, Edius, Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to form and maintain interpersonal relationships in a working environment
- Ability to work with deadlines and high pressure
- May be required to work a non-traditional schedule.
- Working knowledge of multimedia journalism, e. g. reporting, writing, web posting, still photography, online video, databases and social media.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.